In response to the City’s request for public input on the proposed zoning text amendments for Accessory Dwelling Units and Accessory Apartments, WECA conducted a community-wide survey of West End residents. The content of the survey was based on the proposed zoning revisions listed on the City’s website at https://www.rockvillemd.gov/2345/Accessory-Buildings-and-Dwellings.
The survey was developed by a nine-member Committee, implemented using a Google Form, and distributed to the community through the WECA listserv of 600 emails and included in our May 2023 newsletter that is hand-delivered to 1,600 homes in the West End. The survey was open for 32 days, from April 5 to May 7, 2023.
The survey results represent the feedback received from the 185 individuals who completed the survey and do not represent the entire West End community, but we hope that the Planning Commission will consider the feedback we did receive when making recommendations to the Mayor and Council on the proposed zoning text amendments for Accessory Dwelling Units and Apartments. Here is a link to the full report: WECA Report on ADU & Accessory Apartment Survey Responses – May 2023
A few highlights from the feedback received include that survey respondents:
- are pretty evenly split on allowing ADUs: approx. 1/3 say Allow; 1/3 Allow with Conditions; 1/3 Don’t Allow
- strongly favor limiting ADU floor area (78% want limit to no more than 50% of main house area)
- support allowing long-term ADU rentals (68%), but the majority (56%) says No to short-term rentals
- favor limiting the number of occupants to fewer than Rockville’s current zoning max occupancy for ADU (59%) and for Accessory Apartment (66%)
- very strongly do not want to subdivide ownership of lots (83%)
- strongly want property owners to live in one of the dwellings on their lot (72%)
- want a limit of 1 accessory dwelling (apartment or ADU) on a lot (64%)
- favor requiring additional parking space(s) on lots with ADU (58%) or Accessory Apartment (55%)